From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Chuck Larrieu
Sent: Thursday, June 01, 2000 12:37 PM
To: Parris, Brian; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: vpn

1) yes - to something that runs IPSec. May be a flash and mem upgrade as
well chances are very good that with more than a couple of simultaneous
tunnels, your router will crawl to a halt.

some folks install a second device dedicated to tunnel/vpn traffic to keep
from bogging down the gateway

internet------gateway-------firewall-----inside network
                          |                    |
                   vpn/tunnel--------|

2) don't know. Those wiser than I can answer.

3) Everything is a matter of degree. Cisco offers the IP/Firewall/IPSec IOS
and this is certainly one way of doing things. There are other ways. I think
it best to begin with a security policy statement, and work from there.
Decide what level of risk your company can tolerate ( meaning your top
management decides, and places this in writing ) and then evaluate different
ways of doing things based on this policy.

4) Yes - a client VPN , referred to as "shim" software, installed on any
machine that wants to connect. In theory these are standards based and
interoperable. Don't count on it. Nokia/Checkpoint requires the Checkpoint
client. Cisco uses the IRE client, and IRE says that their client is
compatible for most uses, but you have to test. There are issues with any
shim software and any PC, NIC, and applications. Do not assume that this all
is plug and play. I have heard many a tale of woe from other SE's, and our
security group.

Cisco also supports L2TP and PPTP, which require a Microsoft client piece
for windows users.

Hope this gets you started.

Chuck