Yeah - I've seen (and done) this way more often than I'd like, but it
usually works fine. Most often it's a deal where some yahoo brings in a
laptop and wants to use that as well as his desktop machine and the conduit
is so full of wire you can't manage to fish anything anywhere, so you just
use the other two pair of wire. I've even seen some runs where someone has
run a [digital system] phone line along the other two pair, but if ever the
computer on the end of *that* kind of run has a lick of trouble I'm going to
blame the cable on general principles and get a new one pulled.

BTW, I do this at home as well - two fast ethernet runs over one cable that
runs about 80 feet (from the main hub in the office out to a server and a
network printer in a corner of the den). Both run at 100mbps and work well.

So, of course, the moral is as usual: it's okay for you, and it's okay for
clients who aren't going to go complaining too much if it ever craps out.
For the uptight ones, break out the fish tape.

cheers,
Chris

--
Chris Launey