Interface-based static routes are allowed regardless
of the interface type.
However if the next hop for the static or default
route is out an Ethernet (or any LAN for that matter)
a MAC address must be specified for the destination
station or router. This is because the Ethernet is a
multi-access broadcast medium, and it must be
specified which exact station on the segemnt to send
the packets to.
If the next hop were a serial link, the issue would
not arise since there is only one other station on the
link.

Regards,

Cormac Long, CCSI#21600
http://www.cormaclong.com

--- ElephantChild <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Jun 2000, cisco cabanaboy wrote:
>
> > if you
> > ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 e0
> > what dest mac address does it put in the header?
> >
> > FFFFFFFFFFFF?
>
> I would have thought interface routes made sense and
> were allowed only
> on point-to-point (sub)interfaces, which neither
> have nor require a MAC
> address, but I checked and it's also allowed on LAN
> interfaces. deb ip
> pa and deb arp indicate that the router sends out an
> ARP request for the
> destination (not next stage router, which isn't
> defined in that case),
> presumably hoping that some router on the LAN will
> proxy ARP the
> address. IMHO, that's ugly with a capital UG, even
> if it works.
>
> HTH
>
> --
> Bungee jumping and skydiving are for wimps. If you
> want to experience
> true gut-wrenching terror, have children. --Dusty
> Rhoades.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

=====
http://www.cormaclong.com