I didn't see an adequate answer to this question so here is my take,
Runts are most often seen after a switch when the switch is doing cut-thru
and detects a bad packet. It will truncate the packet, ( however since the
first part of the packet is on the wire already you now have a runt)and then
is supposed to back send a jam-burst out the incoming port if the coruption
was due to a colision detection, to alert affected transmitters of the
detected colision.

Often times I also see late colisions somewhere on the network. If this is
true then determine where the ethernet rules may be broken (I know a switch
is a violation just being there) and causing your problems to show up.
Happens most in over extended 100MHz. networks.

A giant has more possibilities, usually a colision, or mismatch of allowable
packet length or setting, or an allowable long packet hitting a device
unable to handle long packets, or a jabbering NIC.

Checking for these combination of problems will generally lead to the true
source of the problem which probably isn't the new Novell server.

Chris Johnson