From: John Neiberger [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Sunday, June 04, 2000 12:40 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Minor Cisco QoS Rant

Okay, I'm new to QoS world and I'm trying to figure out how to implement
end-to-end QoS for voice IP packets across several different Cisco
platforms.  The packets would follow this path:  Voice PBX --> 2924XL -->
2620 --> 7513 --> 6006 --> 2948G.  Does anyone else find it frustrating that
each of Cisco's platforms handles QoS so differently??

I've been reading a lot about it, and the more I read, the more confused I
get.  The documentation reads something like this (a summary):  "On the 5000
series, using ISL, you do it this way and with 802.1q, you do it another
way...that is unless you're connecting to a 6000 series, in which case X is
need to make it work.  Now, if you're using a 2900XL series, then you can
only do Y, not X, and I really hope you're not using a 2948 somewhere in
here because it only speaks Telugu.  You can set the priority bits on
ingress frames, but these aren't the same bits used by the 2948G to classify

traffic, so you're screwed.  Unless you have something in the middle that
can convert from one type of QoS to another, in which case you might be
okay.  That is, unless there is any unusual solar activity, in which case
you can only use two priority queues applied to 802.1q frames only, except
on Sunday when 802.1q takes a break and you can only use ISL.  On Fridays
you get to use all four available queues on a 5000, but not the 6000 after
2:30 p.m."

Anyone else have this frustration or is it just me?  If you have any tips or
suggestions, please feel free to pass them along.  Until then, I'll be
wading through CCO trying to make some sense of this stuff.

Thanks as always!

John Neiberger, CCNA/CCDA