Doesn't RIP 'route by rumours' - ie: only exchange updates with its
immediate neighbours.  A TTL of 2 would acheive this as it will not be
forwarded past the immediate neighbour (the TTL is decremented and if the
next hop of a packet with a TTL of 1 is not directly connected to the router
then the packet is dropped)

Not familiar with the other equipment you mention, but perhaps the
difference is the starting point of the hop count (one vendor interprets
outgoing hops as opposed to incoming hops)?

Just my thoughts...

Keith