That is a common Extreme sales pitch.  If most/all of the traffic in the
closet is going to the core, then why do you need layer 3 in the
closet?  Are you going to put every desktop on it's own subnet? :)  Layer 3
in the closet really doesn't make sense in most installations.

Cisco just released the 2948G-L3 but I still wouldn't put layer 3 in a
closet unless there was a real need for it.
<http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/l3sw/2948g-l3/index.htm>
<http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/pcat/ca2948g.htm>

For a good reference on Layer 3 switching, check out this link on Cisco's
website.

<http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/sw_5_4/msfc/index.htm>

Kevin

At 07:37 AM 6/12/00 -0400, Brian Hartsfield wrote:
>I'm wondering if anybody can point me to some good books on layer 3
>switching that gets into technical details on QoS, design, that type of
>stuff.  We are looking at replacing some of our shared 10 Meg equipment
>with 10/100 switches and we are looking at some layer 3 equipment.  I am
>familiar with routing in routers, but the layer 3 switching stuff is a
>little different as far as how you design things and so forth.  Things are
>complicated by the fact that we had an Extreme Networks rep come in and
>convince everybody that you have to have layer 3 switches all the way to
>the wiring closet, but I don't know enough about layer 3 right now to know
>if that is true or not so I need to get up to speed on the details of
>layer 3 and how to best design a layer 3 type network (ex. layer 3 in the
>core only or all the way out to the wiring closet) so if anybody has any
>good books on the topic they could point me to I would greatly appreciate
>it.   Thanks.
>
>Brian

Kevin S. Mahler, CCNP, CCDA, CCSE
Systems Engineer, Cisco Systems