You will find that such a formula will require the
specific IOS, feature set available, feature set used,
routing protocol(s), interfaces, sub-interfaces, the
phase of the moon at installation... (Actually you
might not need sub-interfaces! ;)

Every formula I have ever seen fails miserably - the
one for EIGRP from Cisco reported that 1.5 MB would be
enough - we died with almost 40 free before the
installation.

Basically, if you are going to do BGP, EIGRP or OSPF
I'd max the memory - its cheap. Also, NAT, PAT,
access-lists and other features would tend to
influence my desire to load things up. Just as with
PCs, you're best bet is to have enough. Otherwise,
make a best guess, load it up and take a look - baring
in mind that new features may put you over the top.

--- Masaru Umetsu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello,all !
>
> I have a question regarding a memory calculation.
> When I buy a Cisco router,I have to make a
> calculation of memory(DRAM)
> of Cisco router. Until now I have decided a memory
> quote in my
> experience. However I want to calculate a memory
> exactly by considering
> a serial interface that I use , and a number of
> entries in routing table
> etc. How do you usually calculate a memory in Cisco
> router when you buy
> it ? I can check the quote of IOS in Cisco web but
> there's no tool to
> calculate a memory quote regarding a DRAM.
>
> Please give me your idea etc soon !

>         Masaru Umetsu
>  E-mail:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Where there's a will, there's a way.