From: Seth Wilson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, June 15, 2000 3:24 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: NetWare 5 Pure IP Login Across Subnets

We have a Netware 5 server -- IP plus IPX, for our CNE lab work -- whose IP
address is 10.0.0.99 and a client -- IP only -- whose address is
198.56.78.13.  The server's subnet connects to E0 on a 2501 -- address
10.0.0.2.  The client's subnet connects to E0/0 on a 3801 -- address
198.56.78.1.  The 2501 and the 3801 are back-to-back and all machines across
the board can ping cleanly by name or address.

When I move the client to the server's subnet and set its IP to 10.0.0.13,
login works just fine.  So login over IP is okay.  But when it's on
198.56.78.13, the client reports it can't find the tree or server.  But as
noted, it can ping the server by name or address.  So I conclude that the
problem is the broadcast that starts the login process.

I set E0/0 on the 3801 to "ip helper-address 10.0.0.99" and still cannot
login.   From the packets I captured, it looks like the initial broadcast is
NetBIOS Datagram Service, which I thought ought to be forwarded when the IP
helper-address is configured.  I am getting a little out of my depth here if
you haven't noticed.

Can anybody suggest what else I need to do to get the routers to forward
this IP Netware login broadcast?

Thanks,

~Seth~