i do agree with this . if you are lokking for more gig ports than , 6xxx
with MSFC is the one you should look at.

-NAD

-----Original Message-----
From: Gabriel [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2000 2:51 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: L3 switch that support Gigabit Ethernet

""BB"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
8in01o$7p4$[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:8in01o$7p4$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Anyway, recommandation?
> Cisco 7500 router and Catalyst 5000/6000 series seems not suitable, as it
as
> very slow backplane
> and $$/gigabit channel are very expensive.
> i think it's because it is not designed for gigabit switiching
>
> Anyway, I've checked Cat. 4000, it seems oko.
> But, are there any other suggestions?

First off, why L3? Do you need to route gigabit, or are you just looking for
switching? If you need to route, the Cat 4K is not going to be what you
need. For inexpensive gig routing, I'd recommend a 2948G-L3 if 2 gig ports
will be enough. If you need to route more than 2 gig ports, you're going to
have to cough up some real dough- a Cat 6xxx with MSFC is probably going to
be what you wind up with in that case, or a 12000 if you really need lots of
routed gigabit.

If you just need switched gig, get a 3508 or a 4912.

-Gabriel McCall
CCDP/CCNP+Security