Earl:

A piece of advice: Look at the big picture.  I think it is fair to say
that the infrastructure of the internet as a whole is not going anywhere.
Routing protocols and the issues with securing/managing networks are going
are only becoming more complex.  However, be that as it may, the operating
system market has
undergone changes affected by the ability for companies to market their
products.  Even though one might argue that Cisco is the same, it is not.
A large percentage of the network nodes on the internet are Cisco devices.
Do you think that with all of the traffic that is going on worldwide
that people would want to swap out Cisco devices for nortel?  Probably not.

Even if they do, are the rules applied to routing going to change?  Probably

not.  If you consider your overall career approach from this perspective,
then you
are less likely to 'wedge' yourself into an area that will require you to
learn
another operating system.  You are LESS likely to be influenced by the tide
that may change in a market, if you master routing protocols
and the cisco ios.  This is a career direction that will require skills
that will demand extensive pay.

Consider carefully.

Best of luck,

Abdul Rahman