From: Sammi [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, June 13, 2000 3:41 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Career Advice

Hi all,
I have my CCNA, CNA and MCP-TCP/IP. I've been in the industry for
about 2.5 years mostly system admin. The situation at my contract
house was conducive to my leaving and really putting forth the effort
to start my new direction. I've been trying to get my foot in the door
of network infrastructure but no dice, I was offered a job starting
Monday if I could install routers solo but I hate making a fool of
myself ;-)
I'm not discouraged nor bitter but would like my plans evaluated by
those in the know.
I've been offered another contract admin position that is in 3 month
increments. I figure I'll bite the bullet and continue in this role.
I'll pick up some more hardware for a home lab (currently working half
a dozen machines networked NT). With that equipment and a lot of books
I'll pursue my CCNP.
With that in mind, a few questions:
1) Does it seem feasible for a reasonably disciplined home student to
obtain CCNP within a year? Six months? Is it worthwhile, and again
feasible, to pursue CCDA simultaneously (that is, will the material be
related enough as to not distract from each other)?
2) Are there specific hardware units which are typically more
conducive to my home study goal? Or should I just keep my eye out for
used equipment and then evaluate the units as they become available.
Up to a thousand dollars (U.S.) seems doable.
3) How best to enter the field. Join a large company, as an admin,
with the necessary infrastructure and the hope of transferring to
networking? How about Cisco themselves, do they ever take entry level
personnel?
4) Finally, and really reaching, say in one year I'm on the network
team, achieved my real world experience and certification goals. From
that point would it be reasonable to put a 5 year target on a shot at
CCIE? Again assuming hands on work and home study. I know CCIE is tops
and am wondering if those obtaining such are in the field 5 years, 10,
etc.
5) Should I take the aforementioned contract job as admin or hold out
for what I really want? I figure I can sit at home for a couple weeks
more before going nuts.

I realize all the questions can be subjective, just trying to set
realistic time frames for my goals.

Thanks for any, and all, advice.