From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Howard C. Berkowitz
Sent: Tuesday, June 27, 2000 8:22 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Free CBT site , download while you can !

>Dinesh_Kakkar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote,

>hello Natasha,
>
>i think u have very bad thinking for this kind of subject, what i feel is
>that u should be happy that people are sharing information & technology & i
>feel its must in this fast moving IT era.
>Ask those guys who developed Linux kind of OS & how much happy they are
>after seeing that so many people are utilising their effert.
>think possitively & be happy.

Bad thinking?  I feel I have an obligation to my profession, and
believe me, I am not paid for contributing to this list or other
forums.  To me, it's an ethical thing to do, and can be fun.

When I do presentations at NANOG or write RFCs, these are freely
available -- and should be.

But I would also argue that I have a right to an income. I am good at
designing networks and networking products, and I am also good at
explaining things.  Are you suggesting I should do design consulting
free?  Then why should I not be able to charge for some educational
materials?  Let's put it this way--what's the incentive to develop
free things beyond a certain point?

I think you will find that most ethical professionals, in any
profession, both give back to their profession and charge for their
work.

What do you feel you should, and should not, be paid for?

[EMAIL PROTECTED]