-----Original Message-----
From: Macnee, James (CHHIS CNI Support)
Sent: Wednesday, June 28, 2000 2:36 PM
To: 'Chuck Larrieu'
Subject: RE: Counters

Thanks for all that info.

This network that I am maintaining supports about 500 PC,s.  We have a fibre
ring in which 4 catalyst switches come off, these are the 1200 series ones.
>From there it ventures off into many hubs and routers.  Not one of our
servers are connected directly to the switch.  They all come off hubs.  The
hub that I am concerned about has our mail server on it, has also the
server which stores the home directories.  It has all the group drives.  It
also has the printers for one subnet.  It has three routers which one is the
main one for the whole site.

I have been doing a little monitoring on it and find that according to mrtg
it has an average usage of 2.7% and max of 46%.  These figures seem so small
but when I look at the amount of collisons on that port they seem extremely
large.

The proposal for port 3 is to have a switch connected to it rather that a
hub.  What do you think about that?  This port would be only be 10mbps.

I am not to sure if that would fix it the traffic problem.

Would it be a good idea to put another switch on the fibre ring and plug all
the servers into that.  Do you think that would fix it, and can you actually
just cut the fibre ring and add a switch in? If so how long would that take
remembering that this company is a 24 hour production mill.

Thanks again for all your help

James Macnee