From: pinoal [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, June 28, 2000 4:32 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Flash Memory

Hi ,

Recently I had to upgrade a cisco3640 from 8 M flash to 32 M flash , I was
provided with 2 x 16 M flash .

I took out the 8M flash and plugged in the 2  16M flash ram .
I did a xmodem transfer of the ios to the flash . When I booted
the router is gave me an error .

"System Bootstrap, Version 11.1(20)AA2, EARLY DEPLOYMENT RELEASE SOFTWARE
(fc1)
Copyright (c) 1999 by cisco Systems, Inc.
C3600 processor with 131072 Kbytes of main memory
Main memory is configured to 64 bit mode with parity disabled

get_man_dev: Unknown device - probably NOT formatted.
unknown flash device - mandev code = 0x89aa
cannot read flash info
getdevnum warning: device "flash" has size of zero
get_man_dev: Unknown device - probably NOT formatted.
unknown flash device - mandev code = 0x89aa
cannot read flash info
getdevnum warning: device "flash" has size of zero
open: read error...requested 0x4 bytes, got 0x0
trouble reading device magic number
boot: cannot open "flash:"
boot: cannot determine first file name on device "flash:"

I took out the new flash and plugged in the original flash with one 16M
Flash and I was able to boot from the original flash memory , but I still
got the error

get_man_dev: Unknown device - probably NOT formatted.
get_man_dev: Unknown device - probably NOT formatted.

I was using ios 12.08 ip/ipx/at/dec plus, I could not find any command to
format the flash . I have tried partitioning the flash and erasing the flash
but still get the
same error .

Can any noe tell me how I can format the new flash memory ?

thanks