Folks,

One very important point to note when calculating
bandwidth utilization on a serial interface. The
default BW on Cisco serial i/f's is 1.544M (i.e. a
T1). In this case it seems to happily coincide with
the CIR. However in many cases the CIR or leased line
speed is less than this.
Management packages will gauge utilization against the
T-1 value. For example a 56k linked could be almost
maxed out in real terms but the management station
would see it running at 56/T-1 which is less than 5%.
You should change the BW to the real physical speed
where possible using the interface 'bandwidth' command
-values are in kbps.
Note that the bandwidth parameter also influences
routing metric values for IGRP/EIGRP/OSPF.

Regards,

Cormac Long
http://www.cormaclong.com

--- News Cisco <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> For this purpose MRTG tops all the products,
> dont go for CW2000, or Cisco View or IPM!!
> 'Bliss'
>
> "Nicholas Langevin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
> in message
> > How would I calculate bandwidth utilization on a
> serial interface?  The
> > interface is encap frame and the CIR is 1544.
> What would be the formula
> for
> > such a calculation?

> http://www.groupstudy.com