I'd like to add a couple Cisco Catalyst 1900 switches to my home lab.  A couple
auction sites list good prices for the Catalyst 1900 model WS-C1912C-A.  However, it
is not the enterprise edition.

I see that the enterprise edition upgrade kit (WS-C19/28EEUG) for the Catalyst 1900 is
listed on Cisco's web site.  What exactly is involved to go to the enterprise edition?
 Is simply a software upgrade, or is the purchase of hardware necessary?

Would it be recommended to purchase a switch w/ the enterprise edition on it already
and pay 200-300 more instead of dealing with the upgrade kit?

On a similar topic what's Cisco's policy on the following situation:

If I buy a router from an auction site, for my home lab ONLY, and it has the IP
feature set, but I'd like the enterprise feature set,  can I just download it from
Cisco, or do I need a paper license stating that I've paid x dollars for this feature
set?

I hope it's not felt that this topic was off topic.  I know there are many individuals
out there who are setting up home labs and this may pertain to them.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
rtw