>"Rodney Jackson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote,
>Guys,
>
>I need some help.  Can someone please explain why Layer 3 Switching
>is faster than Layer 2 Switching?  It seems to me that with L3 the
>switch would have to go up three layer instead of two.  I may have
>whole concept so please explain.

*sigh* the reason you are confused is that layer 3 switching is
principally a marketing rather than a technical term.

Relaying packets based on layer 3 information is routing.
Relaying frames based on layer 2 information is bridging or
frame/cell switching.

Each of these levels has two components:
    Path determination
       May contain dynamic routing protocols
       Will contain configuration information
       Stores best paths in a Routing Information Base(RIB) that is
         optimized for efficient updating
       May create a Forwarding Information Base (FIB) that is optimized for
         speed of lookup.  Alternatively, the RIB and FIB may be the same.
    Forwarding
       Makes forwarding decisions based on the contents of the FIB
       When hardware assisted and making layer 3 decisions, often is called
         layer 3 switching

So a layer 3 switch is really a hardware-accelerated router.

A layer 2 switch is faster than a traditional bridge, under most
circumstances, because:

     It has a very fast internal forwarding fabric interconnecting its ports
     It uses microsegmentation on its user ports
     It usually will have a hardware-assisted FIB containing layer 2 information

Things are getting more, not less, complex.  Multiprotocol label
switching (MPLS) or Cisco's tag switching makes forwarding decisions
based on a label or tag, usually between the layer 2 and 3 headers.