Dear Michael,

I have found what  the problem was. Before I explain what happen, please examine the
configuration of  IP RIP and ip
configuration of serial 0 from the output bellow.

R3#sh ip int brief
Interface              IP-Address      OK? Method Status                Protocol
Serial0                180.180.2.2     YES manual up                    up
Serial0.1              160.160.1.1     YES manual up                    up
Serial0.2              160.160.2.1     YES manual up                    up
Serial1                unassigned      YES unset  down                  down
TokenRing0             unassigned      YES unset  administratively down down

R3#sh running-config
router rip
 network 180.180.0.0
 network 160.160.0.0
!
no ip classless
!

I used the "no network 160.160.0.0" command to remove network 160.160.0.0  from rip
update. Although I did not
remove network 180.180.0.0, RIP suppressed update via serial 0 altogether, apparently
because network 160.160.0.0 is
configured for a subinterface of serial 0 !!!!

Omer Shommo

On Wed, 28 Jun 2000 05:25:02 PDT, Michael Fountain wrote:

>Usually you will see this when you have a distribute list in place and the
>distribute list is blocking all of the updates.  It could also happen if the
>router has only one connection active - all of the routes it knows about
>would come from that interface so it would supress all of those routes from
>going out that interface because of split horizon.
>

>>Hello,
>>
>>My router,R3, does not send any rip update. Bellow is the output of the
>>debug ip rip command on R3. How can configure
>>the router so that RIP updates are sent?
>>
>>Omer
>>
>>R3#debug ip rip
>>RIP protocol debugging is on
>>R3#
>>RIP: sending v1 update to 255.255.255.255 via Serial0 (180.180.2.2) -
>>suppressin
>>g null update
>>RIP: received v1 update from 180.180.2.1 on Serial0
>>      170.170.0.0 in 1 hops
>>      170.16.0.0 in 1 hops
>>      166.166.0.0 in 2 hops
>>

>>_____NetZero Free Internet Access and Email______