www.securityfocus.com
packetstorm.securify.com
www.rootshell.com
www.cert.org

Get yourself on the Bugtraq mailing lists at securityfocus.

For locking down hosts, try http://www.enteract.com/~lspitz -- good
information about firewalls and armoring hosts. Also, try www.fish.com --
some good information from the author of Satan and Cops.

It's a start at any rate. I'm not sure there are really good books with
specific cookbooks for security measures. Mostly, it's a question of
learning your OS and just screwing it down then keeping up with all the
latest vulnerabilities.

Ric