That config would only be valid for a 2900XL or 3500XL, right?  I'm not sure
how this would be configured on a Set-command switch like a 5000.

And IIRC, multi-vlan ports are not allowed if there are any trunk ports
configured on that switch, so that's something to watch for.  I might be
wrong on both counts, so take this with a grain of salt!  :-)

John Neiberger

>  You can have the server be a part of both VLANs without having to do any
>  routing..  Here's a config snip with an example.
>
>  Everything defaults to VLAN 1, so no extra configuration on any of the
>  ports that will be only on vlan 1.
>
>  For clients on the second vlan, do this for every port that you want on
>  VLAN 2:
>
>  interface FastEthernet0/13 (or whatever port it is)
>   switchport access vlan2
>

>  now.. for the server, who you want to be part of both VLANs do this
>

>  interface FastEthernet0/1
>   switchport mode multi
>   swithport multi vlan 1,2
>

>  That will give you 2 seperate VLANs both being able to connect to the
>  server on port 1 (in this scenerio.)
>
>  Be careful, in this case machines on both VLANs can connect to to the
>  server, the server can connect to any machine on either VLAN, but clients
>  on VLAN 1 can not connect to clients on VLAN 2 and vice versa.  For this
>  it would be beneficial to put a router in place to route between to two
>  networks.
>
>  Hope this helps!
>

>  Paul Schultz
>

>  On Wed, 5 Jul 2000, Darren Blake wrote:
>
>  > Hi All,
>  >
>  > I am new to this list so sorry if this has been asked before.
>  > I am really confused about the benefits/setup of Vlans. The more
reading I
>  > do on the subject, the more confused I get.
>  > Say, I have a network of 100 users who all access a file server and
Internet
>  > router. How can I split them up into 2 vlans when they all need to
access
>  > the file server and Internet router. I know it is possible to use a
'router
>  > on a stick' to enable communication between the vlans  but  can you
make the
>  > file server/router members of both vlans without a separate router?
Are