Think of the network connection diagrams that show lines at each level of
the IOS model connecting the hosts at each end. Layer 4 TCP at host A is
talking to layer 4 TCP at host B. If layer 3 IP messes up then it is up to
TCP to detect the error and notify the other end to retransmit.
Each layer has a job to do. Layer 3 routes the packet to its destination.
Layer 4 TCP makes sure that the data arrived.
The standard texts on TCP/IP are:
Internetworking with TCP/IP Vol 1 by Douglas Comer
TCP/IP Illustrated Vol I, The Protocols by W. Richard Stevens.