On Wed, Jul 05, 2000 at 02:23:40PM -0500, Nat Heidler wrote:
> Ok, I've just spent all morning on Cisco's site (our rep is out of town) and
> can not make heads or tails of what I need to buy.
>
> What I have is a mixed IP, IPX, and Token Ring network. There are some NT
> boxes, some Netware boxes and an AS400 (clients connect via IP client).
>
> I'm going to install a new Netware 5 box on a Dell server, and I want to add
> a router in front of the Dell and make that the new gateway. The way it is
> now, the gateway for users is whatever server is nearest them (no, I did not
> design this stuff, I just inherited it).
>
> So, between all the servers I have 4 ethernet segments and 2 token ring.
>
> Questions:
>
> Do I buy a 2500 that has the 6 ports that I need (doesn't seem I can
> configure one that way)

a c2500 doesn't have more than 2 network and 2 serial modules.
You would need somehing like a 4500/4700 router with 6-ethernet
2-tokenring.

But since a router with so many ports is kind of expensive, I'd suggest
using a catalyst 4xxx/5xxx/6xxx switch and using VLANs to segment your
network.

Then you need a router to route between the VLANs. This can be done
with a RSM (a route switch module), which is an optional card within
the catalyst switch.

Or you buy an external router with at least a 100 MBit Card, that
supports ISL and then you create subinterfaces on that interface
that match your VLANs and you can route between the VLANs as yout like
using one router. This modular router could also get 2 TokenRing
Interfaces to route / bridge between Ethernet and TokenRing.

This could be done with a 4500/4700/3620/3640 router.

I have no experience with tokenring cards on the catalyst switch,
sorry.

Then your server and stations are on switched ports and you can
put the servers "in front of your clients" to apply something
like a 80/20 traffic pattern if you like ....

        Andreas ///

--
Andreas Klemm                               http://people.FreeBSD.ORG/~andreas
                                     http://www.freebsd.org/~fsmp/SMP/SMP.html