Phil:

This nails it down as destined for a telco supply. Yes, Phil, the polarity
switch is
all that is required. Marlin P Jones has one -48 VDC 1 amp (roughly 48
watts)
for $56, and one used -48 VDC 15 amps (roughly 750 watts) for $40.

A little history: telephone companies use/used batteries to supply their
power
to the lines. Whether it is +48 VDC or -48 VDC depends simply on whether the
positive or negative supply line is attached to the ground (yes, to the
earth itself).
In modern supplies directly attached to the device both lines are attached,
and
neither line goes to ground, so a simple polarity switch is all that is
required.
-48 VDC is the nominal line voltage on a telephone system. This drops to
about
-20 VDC when someone picks up a receiver. The ringing voltage is about
90 Volts AC, which can easily damage sensitive DC based equipment, and
cause interference on adjacent data lines.

I am surprised at the wattage requirement. The 9 volt battery scheme
wouldn't
supply enough amps, and the 6 volt battery scheme would run the batteries
down pretty darn quick.