The PCs at this location will be used almost 100% of the time for TN3270
emulation.  I know, expensive emulation.  The will also have customer
signature display software running on them.  I was trying to be creative and
find a way to allow PCs at that location without the need to purchase and
additional file server.

If we use bridging, the LAN at the building across the street would appear
local and the PCs would be able to access network services easily.  Since
we're already buying an "expensive" tn3270 solution, I just was making an
attempt to save a few bucks.  We'll probably end up getting the server, but
I wanted to ponder this idea some more.

John

>  Why bridging? You should be able to route either IPX or IP, of course
>  IP-only is one of the major selling points of Netware 5. I have
experience
>  using Netware 4.x via IPX over slow (56 Kb) frame links...it was
certainly
>  usable, but we supplied local servers for each site to reduce WAN
traffic,
>  etc. To quote a famous saying on this list: What problem are you trying
>  solve?...i.e. is there a reason that you do not want to drop a server at
the
>  branch site? Hardware requirements for Netware (even 5) are not
exorbitant
>  by today's standards...
>
>  Anson

The
>  terminals will need to be replaced by PCs at some point in the near
future.
>  Since we're using Netware 5.0, they will need access to a local file
server
>  to log in.  Instead of buying a new file server, I suggested that we
>  configure CRB between this tiny branch and its parent branch which it is
>  connected to via frame relay.  This would make the parent branch LAN and
its
>  servers appear to be local.
>
>  My boss says that this would be too slow and probably wouldn't work.
None