>Edgar,
>
>You are right but do you know if any one use it in real life practise?
>Thanks again.
>
>Henry

There are two kinds of OSPF authentication, cleartext and MD5, and
there are real-world applications for both.

Cleartext authentication doesn't protect against the most trivial
attacks, since any sniffer function defeats it.  I find it to be
useful, however, in situations such as merging two separately defined
OSPF networks.  As each router is configured, I establish the new
cleartext password.  That ensures that only reconfigured routers will
talk to one another.

MD5 authentication is appropriate when there are hostile threats to
the routing system.  I wouldn't dream, for example, of implementing
an educational network without it.

Remember that both kinds of authentication protect the integrity of
the routing system against accidental or deliberate denial of
service.  They do not authenticate user traffic.

OSPFv6, incidentally, does not have authentication, because it
assumes its routing information will run over IPv6 packets with
header authentication as a standard.