From: whatshakin
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 7/16/00 12:11 PM
Subject: DHCP and subnets

Hello folks,
Please clarify this for me.

Hypothetical example: Campus LAN with multiple buildings.  Each building
on its own vlan and with its own subnet addressing scheme. All buildings
tied in to a Catalyst 5500 which has RSP doing all the inter-vlan
routing.  Data center using a single DHCP server with multiple scopes
(one scope per vlan/subnet etc) to supply all vlans/subnets with their
respective ip addresses.  I want to understand how the DHCP server knows
how to hand out the correct ip address from the corresponding subnet to
the workstations that request them.  I have come to believe that
initially DHCP servers have no idea whom is requesting an address, they
just hand them out to whoever asks...this is what is confusing.  I
understand that each Vlan needs its own gateway address where the
workstations aim their broadcasts and there an ip helper-address
statement in the RSP for each vlan, but I still don't understand how the
DHCP server knows how to hand out the appropriate address when it has
multiple scopes enabled.

TIA for any clarification you can offer.