On Tue, 18 Jul 2000, John lay wrote:

> Guys,
>
> This time I have a question regarding mulipoint FR configuration.
> Her is the concern:
> int s 0/0.1
> ip address 1.1.1.1 255.0.0.0
> frame-relay map ip 2.2.2.2 200 broadcast
> frame-relay map ip 3.3.3.3 300 broadcast
>
> Is this configuration means that there are two PVCs from this source to two
> destinations(2.2.2.2 & 3.3.3.3)?. How come a single interface (s0/0.1) can
> have two DLCIs (200 & 300)?

A point to point interface can have only one PVC.  A multipoint can have
multiple PVC's.  With multiple PVC's on an interface, you don't have to do
DLCI mapping, because inverse arp will take care of it.  Once
subinterfaces are involved, as above, then you must do the maps you did.
Frame-Relay is a multiple-access wan technology, so having multiple PVC's
on an interface is valid.

> Or should I configure it this way
>
> int s 0/0.1
> ip address 1.1.1.1 255.0.0.0
> frame-relay map ip 2.2.2.2 200 broadcast
> int s 0/0.2
> ip address 1.1.1.2 255.0.0.0
> frame-relay map ip 3.3.3.3 300 broadcast

In my opinion you want the second way.  You see, the reason you would put
all PVC's under one interface, a multipoint interface, is mainly because
your building a mesh or a semi-mesh, and you are using a single network.

You are using two different Class A networks, and so two PtP interfaces
are the way to go IMHO.  Also be aware that the two ends of the
links.........whether it be a PtP or a multi-access link, should be in the
same subnet, and in neither of your examples is this the case.