From: Tony Olzak [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, July 19, 2000 8:18 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Switches and VLANs

This one will depend on the model of switch you have. The newer 2900XL and
3500XL have what's called "multi-VLAN" on a port. All broadcast traffic from
every VLAN configured on the interface will flood that port. However, if you
are only using one switch (say in a small implementation), you can use this
config to separate traffic at layer 2 while using a flat layer 3 scheme. For
example, say you have a small company with two departments. One is
engineering and the other is office workers. The engineering department is
VLAN 2 and the other is VLAN 3. Everyone has an IP address in the
192.168.1.XXX range. Using the multi-VLAN function, you can set each port
that has a server to VLANs 2 and 3. This way, each department can
communicate with the servers, but the broadcast traffic is not propagated to
the PCs in each department. You do not need routing to reach the server. To
further segment, you could put all printers in VLAN  4 (with every host
printing to a queue on the server) and include each server in that VLAN as
well. This way, any garbage traffic from print servers (i.e. Jetdirects)
won't get to the rest of your net also. You cannot use "multi-VLAN" and VLAN
trunks on the same switch. Also, spanning-tree has problems if you try to
set up "multi-VLAN" on inter-switch links instead of a trunk.

Multiple VLANs can also exist when using VLAN trunks. These can be either
ISL, 802.1Q, or 802.10. Intel makes a server card that will do ISL so you
don't need to hit the router to get to each server also.

Tony Olzak, CCNP, MCSE

[EMAIL PROTECTED]" TARGET="_blank">news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...