I would think the difference is multi-vlan port can't block inter-vlan
multicast and broadcast, for example, it will forward unknown mac frame or
multiple vlans stp message to all vlans to which it was assigned, but ISL
trunking will restrict MC and BC in it's original vlan, which is good. :)

Hope some Cisco guru point out if what I think is not correct.
thanks,
Daniel.