In my current environment we have just installed a 6509 with dual supervisor
modules.  It is currently running a "hybrid" IOS (12.0(7)XE) which allows
the switch engine and the route processor to be configured, as separate
entities.  With this IOS the configuration of the two modules does not sync.
The customer want the configs to sync as opposed to running HSRP on the two
route processors.  In order to do this I must migrate to a "native" IOS
(12.0(7)XE1 for example) which makes the switch engine and the route
processor configuration occur at a single prompt..  This IOS migration will
result in the current configuration of the Catalyst being wiped out.  Since
this switch is live on the network I am trying to minimize downtime.

My questions to the group are;

Has anyone done such an IOS migration?

Is it be possible to re-boot the "secondary" module, load the new IOS via
the xmodem rommon command, configure that module, fail over to the newly
configured module, then perform the same function on the "master" module,
the whole time maintaining network functionality until the fail overs?

Any and all suggestion that would minimize down time would be appreciated.
I currently do not have a second catalyst to perform the upgrade outside the
"live box."

Thanks in advance for any and all ideas.

Steve D.