I am replacing a 3com lanmodem with a 2620.  The lanmodem currently operates
as a dchp server, providing
services to windows 9x/NT clients.

I have set up a 2620 as a dhcp server, but can't seem to get the server to
assign an address
to the client, except if I choose the 'renew' option in windows' WINIPCFG
utility.

Does anyone know whether this is because :

a) the router is not 'seeing' the initial dhcprequest packet?
b) MS Windows clients require a 'bootfile' on  the dhcp server ?

Any help or redirection to an appropriate source would be helpful.

I have checked the cisco site, but can only find info on how to set up the
server,
not troubleshoot it.

Derek Lewinson, CCNA, MCSE
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]