From: Rue Barb the Tangled [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, July 24, 2000 3:16 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: HSRP and consecutive addressing

Well, this didn't post the first time, so I'll try again.

When implementing HSRP with IP addressing, do the addresses need to be
consecutive?  Every sample I've seen lists 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2 (or some
variant) as the router addy's and 10.0.0.3 as the virtual address.

In the real world, however, where HSRP is an afterthought and not planned,
the people who put in static addresses and default gateways don't leave 3 ip

addresses in a block to use.  (Obviously they'll have to be the same subnet,

of course) - and they want the old ip addresses on a router to be new the
virtual addy's now -

So could I use 10.0.0.5 and 10.0.0.18 with a virtual addy of 10.0.0.144?
(assuming 255.255.255.0 subnetmask, of course)

No useful info on CCO, so any advice would be appreciated.