Zhang,

The purpose of the helper address is to allow a certain amount of
broadcasts to go from one broadcast domain into another.

For example.  Say you have a Windows DHCP server hanging off
e0..........and you have some clients that would like to use that DHCP
server but they are on e1.  Well DHCP requires a certain amount of
broadcast interaction to function.  The broadcasts generated from clients
off e1 will never see the DHCP server in e0.  So we do like this:

int e0
    ip address 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0

int e1
    ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0
    ip helper-address 192.168.1.255

What we have done here, is transferred a certain amount of broadcast
traffic from e1, over to e0.  Not all broadcasts are transferred, only
certain well known services like DHCP, Windows Login, and a few others.

You can either set the helper address to be the broadcast address of the
network you want to reach, as I did above.  Or, if you are just wanting to
get the traffic to a specific server, then you can make the helper-address
a unicast address.

Brian