This is one of my pet peeves. (Another one?, you may be thinking! ;-)

Seriously, it's Hot Standby Router Protocol. It's the router that is in
standby. Cisco has a bunch of documents that spell out the acronym
incorrectly. You'll see it spelled out Hot Standby Routing Protocol too.
It's not the routing protocol that's in standby! It's the router.

Priscilla