An old question, but one which I don't believe anyone answered. Speculative
question. Serves as a lesson in router behavior.

The question: can one, using ip unnumbered, configure several interfaces on
the same network?
Readers can read through the previous messages to get the idea of what was
discussed.

Answers:

1) Cisco permits ip unnumbered on point to point links only. This includes
frame relay subinterfaces that are configured point to point using the
interface x.y point-to-point command. One cannot configure an ethernet
interface as an ip unnumbered. Nor can one configure the loopback interface
as an ip unnumbered. ( IOS 12.1.1 IP Plus etc )

2) One can indeed have several interfaces configured as unnumbered using the
same source. Did so in the lab just now. Slap on the side of the head. I
once ran my company ( nine sites ) using ip unnumbered on all interfaces,
including frame relay subinterfaces.  How quickly we forget. Brain arteries
must be hardening.

More complex question: can one then effectively have all associated
interfaces on one big network without explicitly having bridging enabled on
any of the connected interfaces?

In the course of this experiment, I configured two routers such that the
ethernet interfaces on each were addresses on the 172.16.0.0/16 network.
(172.16.1.1/16 on one and 172.16.2.2/16 on the other) I configured ip
unnumbered on both serial interfaces of each router, and connected those
interfaces to eachother. I.e. router 1 had two serial connections to router
2

Without a routing protocol configured, the sh ip route resulted in the
following:

Router_2#sh ip route

Gateway of last resort is not set

     172.16.0.0/16 is variably subnetted, 2 subnets, 2 masks
C       172.16.0.0/16 is directly connected, Ethernet0
C       172.16.1.1/32 is directly connected, Serial0
                      is directly connected, Serial1
C    192.168.1.0/24 is directly connected, Loopback0

Notice the directly connected serial interfaces, with the host route
172.16.1.1/32 showing over both s0 and s1

Now with OSP configured:

Gateway of last resort is not set

     172.16.0.0/16 is variably subnetted, 2 subnets, 2 masks
C       172.16.0.0/16 is directly connected, Ethernet0
C       172.16.1.1/32 is directly connected, Serial0
                      is directly connected, Serial1
C    192.168.1.0/24 is directly connected, Loopback0
     192.168.3.0/32 is subnetted, 1 subnets
O       192.168.3.1 [110/65] via 172.16.1.1, 00:00:03, Serial1
                    [110/65] via 172.16.1.1, 00:00:03, Serial0

notice that the ospf interface from the other router (192.168.3.1) appears.
No change in the serial interface routes. I should add that the
172.16.1.1/32 host route points to the ethernet interface of the other
router. One can from each router ping the ethernet interface of the other
router. I would predict that this is about all one can do, given this
configuration. In other words, if I had a live ethernet off my router, I
would be unable to ping any host on that subnet from the other router.

In any case, I believe I have demonstrated that the basic premise is true -
that one can have two routers configured so that all interfaces (within
certain limitations) are on the same subnet. But the end result is not what
the original question asked to accomplish. Without bridging one cannot have
all hosts on both sides reachable from the other side.

All of this, of course, is leaving me quite curious about how the ip
unnumbered process really works - what it is that happens on the logic
level. And I can more labs out there to help me understand some of the
things I predict will or won't happen if I do further testing, trying to run
real traffic across the connections.

It's getting late and so I bid you all good night.

Chuck

P.S. I will have the routers back on line for a while. Hope to catch up on
some long overdue experiments, including some fun stuff for the group.