I've run into this before actually.  I don't know what kind of network you
have set up but..
I have two routers set up back to back running frame-relay across their
serial links.  The
ethernet interface of both is connected to a switch.  PC with ethernet NIC
is also connected
to a switch port.  Here's the deal.  Be careful that when you ping from the
PC, it has
a proper route to the target router.  A telnet could be configured to a
different interface (and
ip address) on the same router through the use of an ip host
command.  Basically, your ping might take a different
route than your telnet.  If you don't have any host commands, then check
access-lists.

Roman

If my logic is flawed...someone please slap some reason on me quickly!!