Matt,

I too work and live in the Chicago area and although is an ever present need
for Unix talent, the need for experienced networking professionals has not
diminished at all.  HP UX is a different animal than Solaris and it does see
higher demand because fewer people are fluent in it.  Solaris admins are
much more common.