MLS refers to Multilayer Switching

MLS is the process whereby a switch works in conjunction with a router or
RSM (route switch module) to provide high-speed routed traffic.  In simple
terms, the switch sends the initial traffic to the router to discover the
path needed for the destination, and then the switch takes over from there
without the router's assistance.  This allows you to maintain routed
networks at switched speeds as the switch fabric, which is based in
hardware, will move traffic much faster than a router, which is based in
software.

Good luck!

Rik Guyler