Cisco Nuts wrote:

> Hello,
> Is the ebgp-multihop default value = 255 ??
> From all the examples that I have seen and done, it has always
> been set to a
> number ex. 2 or 200 or 255 etc.  but doing an example from CCO,
> is just uses
> the cmd. # neighbor a.b.c.d ebgp-multihop - with no value and
> it works!!
> Thus, I am assuming that the ebgp-multihop default value = 255??
> Anyone??
> Thank you.
> Sincerely,
> CN

Notice if you configure ebgp-multihop with no parameter, that the "show ip
bgp neighbors" output for that neighbor says:

  External BGP neighbor may be up to 255 hops away.

If you specify a number, such as 2, you'll see:

  External BGP neighbor may be up to 2 hops away.

Not putting a parameter on the command makes life easier, but then again,
BGP network operators don't care about easiness. :-) However, if you are
going to put a parameter, you need to know the number of hops, which can be
a little confusing because just going to a loopback on another router
instead of a directly-connected interface counts as a hop.

I checked with a sniffer by the way. On the 3-way handshakes, the routers
use 255 for the IP TTL regardless, at least on my routers which are running
IOS 11.0. That surprised me. But after the 3-way handshake, they start
setting the TTL to 1 (if no ebgp-multihop), 255 (if ebgp-multihop is
configured with no parameter), and the correct number (if ebgp-multihop is
configured with an exact number).

That seems like a misbehavior to me (i.e. setting the TTL to 255 for the
three-way handshake). You could establish a connection with a router even
though you couldn't do anything. You could establish so many that you could
cause a DOS. I'll have to do some more testing of this.

Priscilla