Peter P wrote:

> When I traceroute or ping to a remote node from Router A - no
> reply. If so an extended traceroute or ping using the source's
> loopback address - hey presto- all works fine. So how do I get
> the route to use its loopback address as the source - rather
> than the serial interface.

With extended ping, which you must have already figured out since you know
pinging with the loopback works. When you just do a normal ping the router
uses the closest interface to the one you're pinging. You can't change that.

> Or cant I change this? IF I cant
> change this then I seem to have to look at the routing in the
> intervening hops and ensure all hops refer to this loopback
> address - rather than the serial address on Router A. Yes?

Routing back to the loopback seems to already be working. What you need to
fix is the fact that the other routers don't seem to have a route to your
serial interface. That should relatively easy to fix.

Priscilla