After wrestling with Solie this afternoon, it suddenly occurred to me that
there is a typical instruction in the various practice labs that can end up
driving you nuts if you look at it from one direction, but which is really
simple if looked at from another.

The topology: several routers over frame relay. Usually four routers. One
acts as hub, The others as spokes.

the instruction: you must use subinterfaces only on the hub. On the spokes
you MUST use the physical interfaces. two of the spoke routes connect to the
hub via one subinterface. The other router connects to the hub on the other
subinterface.

the catch: some bizarre restriction or other about network types, commands
that can or cannot be used, the usual BS.

It occurs to me that working backwards, you can solve most problems,
whatever the restrictions and twists.

Frame relay:                         OSPF default
-----------------                         --------------------

physical interface                 non broadcast

subinterface - p2p                point-to-point

subinterface - multipoint      non broadcast

I think the knee jerk reaction is to create a multipoint subinterface for
the link to the two spoke routers, and a p2p subinterface for the link to
the single spoke router. Then moan in despair as you realize that the
instructions forbid the use of any ip ospf network commands anywhere.

But if you look from the higher level viewpoint, you see that the physical
and the multipoint subinterface default to the same type of OSPF network.
Life is easier after that.

Is this making sense? I'm at the end of a very long day, with too many
subtleties floating around in what's left of my brain.

Good night, everyone.

--
TANSTAAFL
"there ain't no such thing as a free lunch"