[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> As far as I am aware, the 1st packet in the flow has to be L3
> switched.  A
> router just does not send an enable packet back to the SE if it
> fails an
> ACL.  In terms of the telnet, FTP scenarios, I assume that the
> flow does not
> matter at the SE, cause the packet processing at the router
> justs denies it
> and an MLS flow never get created for that L4 based connection.

If a simple destination flow mask (the default) gets created on the SE that
says how to send traffic to a host, both Telnet and FTP traffic will be sent
to the host despite the access list on the router. It's a huge security
hole. However, the Cisco developers thought of this, of course. (I wonder if
it was an afterthought or if they realized this was a problem right away?
:-) They created more complicated flow masks:

* Destination-source flow mask to handle a standard access list or simple
extended access list without L4 port numbers on the router

* Full flow mask to handle an extended access list that uses L4 port numbers

It turns out that MLSP is used by the router to signal to the SE which flow
masks must be used. Thank-you Kennedy Clark and the other person who cleared
that up. (Great to hear from Kennedy, author of one of the best Cisco Press
books, Cisco LAN Switching. It's right up there with Doyle's books.)

The books say that MLSP flushes the MLS cache when access lists are
configured or changed, or the routing table changes, but they aren't too
clear that on bootup, if a router has access lists, it better tell the SE to
use a more specific flow mask. I'd like to see that protocol in action?! Of
course, if it's a built-in RSP, that wouldn't be possible.

Thanks everyone for replying.

Priscilla