You can change Ethernet encapsulation if you're using VLANs, i.e. to ISL or
801.1q. You can also change encapsulation if you're using Novell NetWare,
since Novell supports 4 different encpsulations.

But with IP, you can't change the encapsulation. IP is essentially always
Ethernet II, although a router can use 802.2 with SNAP if it sees a
recipient using it. But it's not configurable, at least not on the routers
I've tried it on. If someone wants to show me that they did it, I will stop
saying this. :-)

You CAN, however change the encapsulation for ARP. Try this:

Albany#config t
Enter configuration commands, one per line.  End with CNTL/Z.
Albany(config)#int e0
Albany(config-if)#arp ?
  arpa         Standard arp protocol
  frame-relay  Enable ARP for a frame relay interface
  probe        HP style arp protocol
  snap         IEEE 802.3 style arp
  timeout      Set ARP cache timeout
Albany(config-if)#arp snap

A Cisco router sends IP frames using the Ethernet Version II frame format,
unless it receives IP frames in the SNAP format. If the router sees that a
station is using SNAP frames for IP, the router sends SNAP frames. But,
before the router can send an IP frame to a destination, it must find the
MAC address using ARP. In order to reach a station configured for SNAP, the
router must send the ARP using SNAP.

I doubt this is the problem, because it's so unlikely someone would make
this change.

I wonder what the subnet mask on the other router is? That could cause a
pinging problem (although I don't know if you would see an encapsulation
failure, but you might. If the other router thinks it needs to route the
packet but can't due to no routing you might see the encapsulation failure.)

Anyway, the OBVIOUS answer is we need to see the configuration on both
routers. We aren't mind-readers. :-)

Priscilla