Priscilla Oppenheimer wrote:

> ""Tim Champion""  wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > When calculating the metric of an IGRP route (with
> non-default 'K' values)
> > which load and reliability values does one use? Do you use
> the highest,
> > lowest or average value for the entire route?

Load and reliability are cumulative as far as I can tell. That is, they
reflect the load and reliability for the entire path. That's what Doyle says
and I now believe him. :-) You can test it without even messing with the K
values. To see the reported load and reliability, use a protcol anzlyer, or,
even easier: do a show ip route with the network of choice as a parameter.
The info is shared and saved even, if it's not used to calculate the
composite metric.

> > Also if anyone could point me to a document on the above it
> would be
> > appreciated.
> >

> > Many thanks in advance.

I did some testing. It was impossible to come up with a testing methodology
that would give a conclusive result, especially considering the limitations
of my lab, and the limitations of the protcols, but I'm pretty sure that
both load and reliability are cumulative. Well, for reliabiity, the error
rate is cummulative really. And load does seem to be somewhat smart about
different bandwidths. It can't be too smart since it only knows the lowest
bandwdith for the path, but it seems to take this into account along with
the bandwidth for its interfaces, which is necessary for a cumulative load
to mean anything.

Needless, to say, the real answer is don't even bother with reliabilty and
load as IGRP or EIGRP metrics. With a 90-second update timer (IGRP) and
nonperiodic, partial, and bounded updates for EIGRP, the protocol can't
possibly keep accurate track of the sampling that interfaces do every 5
seconds to determine the load and reliability.

It's kind of weird that Cisco let these two opposing goals end up in the
protocol:

* Low bandwidth usage by the protocol (infrequent updates)
* Path selection based on quickly-changing load and reliabity metrics

Well, probably nobody cares (and rightly so! ;-) But it was bothering me
that the original poster never got a good answer.

Priscilla