You didn't mention which version of 1600 you have. Here's a cut from a Cisco
document: "The serial WAN port on the Cisco 1601 R router supports
asynchronous serial connections of up to 115.2 kbps and synchronous serial
connections-such as Frame Relay, leased lines, Switched 56, Switched
Multimegabit Data Service (SMDS), and X.25-of up to 2.048 Mbps.
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps214/products_data_sheet0918
6a0080091ff4.html

So, if you have a 1601R, the answer is yes you can connect a modem. I'll
assume the interface is 60 pin. The cable for that would be a CAB-232MT= 60
pin to 25 pin EIA/TIA 232 male.

Configure your serial port to be asynchronous. Your serial int will have a
different number.
R1(config)#int s5
R1(config-if)#physical-layer async
See if it changed
interface Serial5
 physical-layer async
 no ip address
!
line 5
!
You can do a "show line" as well.
Then configure the line.
R1(config)#line 5
R1(config-line)#login
R1(config-line)#password cisco
R1(config-line)#modem inout
R1(config-line)#transport input all
R1(config-line)#speed 115200 (or whatever you want)
R1(config-line)#stopbits 1
R1(config-line)#flowcontrol hardware
R1(config-line)#
This should get you close. Check BCRAN books for more info.