alaerte Vidali wrote:

> RFC 2001 explains TCP Slow Start, Congestion Avoidance,
> Fast Retransmit, and Fast Recovery Algorithms.
>
> I am trying to figure out a example when a duplicate ACK occurs
> due a segment that was lost.

If a recipient notices a hole in the bytes received, it doesn't ACK the last
byte received. It ACKs the last byte before the hole, which it probably
already ACKed.

ACKing the last byte received would give the wrong impression that all bytes
were received and no indication that some are missing.

This should be explained in the TCP RFC or it might be in the Host
Requirements, or maybe you just have to see it to understand it. Back when
networks were less reliable and packets got lost for all sorts of reasons,
it was easier to see examples of this with a protocol analyzer...

Priscilla