hi All,

Please tell me if I am wrong and best practices

A trunk link, by default, is a member of all VLANS

Would it be best practice, to place your trunk ports in a particualr VLAN,
then define what you want pruned/not pruned ?

Reason I ask is that I am getting the hostflapping error every now and then,
which first made me believe I had a developer plugging in hubs around the
place. However, now I think its a question of my design/config. Here is an
example of the error on my cat-4006 gig ports which trunk to my floor
switchs.

Host 00:06:29:F9:75:A2 in vlan 23 is flapping between port Gi2/12 and port
Gi2/11

NOTE: 2/12 go's to sw2 and 2/11 go's to sw1, which are connected to one
another as you can see below

I checked it out, there are no hubs any where that could do this, and I have
spanning tree in place to stop the redundant links on my floor switch;s
coming back into the core. Here is the config of my trunk ports on the floor
switch

SW1
interface GigabitEthernet0/1
description link to core
 switchport mode trunk
 no ip address
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/2
description link to sw2 floor switch
 switchport mode trunk
 no ip address

SW2
interface GigabitEthernet0/1
description link to core
 switchport mode trunk
 no ip address
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/2
description link to sw1 floor switch
 switchport mode trunk
 no ip address

If any one can suggest anything, I would appreciate it
(I am interested in the use of the bpdu-port guard, would this help here ?)

Thanks
John
Sydney Australia

This email message (and attachments) may contain information that is
confidential to Solution 6. If you are not the intended recipient you cannot
use, distribute or copy the message or attachments.  In such a case, please
notify the sender by return email immediately and erase all copies of the
message and attachments.  Opinions, conclusions and other information in
this message and attachments that do not relate to the official business of
Solution 6 are neither given nor endorsed by it.