Hello group...

Let's put an example:

PUBLIC POOL:
    X.X.X.0 ---- X.X.X.4
    Four public ip addresses (it's only an example!!)

    Supppose that the first three clients
arrives(clients are computers that try to get
internet), the router does NAT (1:1), ok?? Now the
fourth client arrives, so if you are right the router
does PAT with the last IP public address.

     In this situation imagine the following cases:

     1) The first translation time-outs, what happens
if another client arrives?? does the router do PAT or
NAT with this new client?? If the router does PAT...
does it take the free public IP address or continues
doing PAT with the forth IP public address??

     2) Now suppose this: The router has 3 public IP's
doing NAT, the fourth doing PAT.. Now one translation
time-outs, what happens with the four PAT
translation?? does it keep on doing PAT or start doing
NAT???

  I'm still confused... I really appreciate all the
answers to this question, but some answers says the
opposite.... can we make it clear??

   Thank you!!!

 --- Peter Walker  escribis: >
According to my experience you have got it the wrong
> way round.
>
> Cisco IOS will do NAT until the pool runs out, then
> do PAT on the last IP.
>
> This was a major issue when then documentation
> suggested the opposite. Not
> sure if this is still the case though.
>
>       Peter
>

> --On 03 April 2003 07:50 +0000 ciscoGo2002
>  wrote:
>
> > Hello friends,
> >
> > Thankyou for your answeres, but I have more
> doubts:
> >
> >    Config:
> >
> >     ip nat inside source list 1 pool POOL overload
> >
> >     If have understood your answers, the router
> start
> > doing PAT with the first IP address and doesn't
> takes
> > the next avalaible public IP address until PAT is
> > exhausted with the first IP address, right?? But
> if
> > this is the way it works I think we never use the
> rest
> > of the public IP's in the pool because there are
> not
> > enough clients to exhaust PAT with the first IP...
> > think it will be much better if the router starts
> > doing PAT and after the pool is exhausted.
> >
> >    I cannot do NAT 1:1 and reserve one public IP
> to do
> > PAT, because I don't want to give the same IP to a
> set
> > of clients and not to another...

Yahoo! Messenger - Nueva versisn GRATIS
Super Webcam, voz, caritas animadas, y mas...
http://messenger.yahoo.es