From: ericbrouwers [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, April 04, 2003 3:35 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: CAS and CCS - out-of-band and in-band [7:66607]

Interesting discussion,

In-band, out-of-band are very confusing terms when used in digital
telecoms/datacoms. People and books will tell you contradicting things. For
the right definitions you can best refer to ITU or ANSI specs.

I haven't been involved in classical telecoms for years, but this is my
interpretation:

With in-band signalling the signalling is conveyed on the same channel
(timeslot, connection, ...) as the voice or data is carried. So for example
pressing digits during a phone call can be considered as in-band signalling
(DTMF signals). Fax and modem calls may also be considered in-band. Early
phone systems also used signalling systems like R2 to control the call
(specific frequencies were used to control the call).

Out-of-band systems either used specific wires or specific frequencies that
were out of the normal frequency band. I can't remember exactly, I have some
coursebooks somewhere, but I can't find them right now. Anyway, as far as I
know in-band and out-of-band originate from the old analog telecoms world,
and may be ambiguous when applied to the digital world.

Nowadays, if you really want to classify digital signalling is in-band or
out-of-band, I would say the following: out-of band signalling is signalling
that is transported over a different channel (timeslot, connection, ...)
than the data or voice. So for example:
- ISDN BRI and PRI both have a dedicated signalling channel (the D-channel),
so it's out-of-band.
- In the European PSTN and GSM networks there are dedicated signalling links
for voice trunks. The call setup is controlled by common signalling
channels, hence the name common channel signalling. Signalling system number
7 (SS7), also called common channel signalling system number 7 (CCS7) is an
out-of-band signalling system, since the signalling is not conveyed in the
same channel as the voice (or data). Note that the signalling channels can
be implemented in different ways: the signalling channel can be part of the
same E1 trunk (for instance timeslot 16 or any other timeslot except 0 !!!)
that carries the voice, this is called associated signalling; the signalling
channel can also be in a timeslot of an E1 different to the E1 that carries
the voice. The latter is called quasi-associated signalling: there are
dedicated redundant signalling links that do not follow the same path as the
voice trunks, only the begin- and end-points of the voice and signalling
paths are the same...confusing, isn't it?

ISDN BRI and PRI use the same concept as SS7: multiple voice or data calls
are controlled by one signalling channel, which makes them common channel
signalling and out-of-band.

Channel-associated signaling is very confusing to me. $%^*!* where are those
course books??? Hmm, let's use this definition from Cisco:

"...Channel associated signaling: The transmission of signaling information
within the voice channel...."

So that seems to imply that all in-band signalling is also CAS signalling,
which makes sense to me.

So what about X.25? Initial call setup and data follow the same path: so
CAS. Would you classify it is in-band???

So what about E1s and T1?? You can't just classify a standalone E1 as one or
the other. In my opinion it depends on the application, the signalling
system and the scope of reference. When you make a call to certain
international locations, you may still hear some old signalling along the
path, caused by inband CAS systems. A channelized E1 that carries voice or
data calls is normally controlled by a common channel signalling system.
However, maybe I shouldn't mention this, since it is too confusing: an E1
can also be classified as CAS, when you allocate a 2kbps signalling channel
to each 64kbps channel....32*2 = 64 kbps, isn't it? And what about timeslot
0, it's always present and it is used to convey information...we should
classify this as CAS, shouldn't we? You see very confusing. It really
depends on your definitions and scope.

I'm not familiar with T1s, I always ignored them, because we don't use them
here in Europe. T1s seem to have 24 timeslots: 24 * 64 = 1536 kbps. T1s
don't seem to have a dedicated timeslot 0, instead framing/sync/O&M is
handled by the remaining 8kbps (1544-1536 kbps) of bandwidth. This is CAS,
just like TS0 in an E1 is CAS. You may classify  this CAS as in-band,
although some may debate that, since you're using dedicated bits in the
multiframe structure for CAS, just like an E1 is using certain bits in the
multiframe structure as TS0 and most people will classify this TS0 as
out-of-band... So both in T1s and E1s bits are robbed from the T1/E1
bandwidth. If a voice timeslot in a T1 is really 64kbps (and not 56 kbps as
some say ....) , if I had to classify it, I would classify it as out-of-band
a well, since you're not stealing bits from the individual voice channel,
but from the T1 trunk.....Aarghh...We should ask a PCM E1/T1 guru!!!

However, your ISDN PRI is 23 B + D, and this D-channel again is CCS (and
out-of-band) ! I also assume that the voice trunks in your PSTN/GSM/PCS
networks use dedicated SS7 signalling links, again CCS, out-of-band.

Hope this helps?

Eric Brouwers